Nathan Derwent was probably already a beer retailer when he unsuccessfully applied for an alehouse licence in 1839. Following many other unsuccessful applications he was finally granted a licence in 1853.
In the 1841 census it was called Bridge House with Nathan described as a beer seller aged 50 with a wife Mary and son Thomas. Ten years later in the 1851 census it was called The Bridge Inn and Nathan was described as a beer seller and farmer of five acres of land in grass, He was now 67 with his wife and one servant.
By the 1861 census it had changed its name to the Talbot Arms, The Talbot was an extinct breed of dog favoured by packhorse men and also represented the Earls of Shrewsbury. No doubt Nathan adopted this heraldic sign to show his loyalty to his neighbor Lord Howard.
Nathan was now a licensed victualler and remained licensee until his death in 1870 when Luke Derwent became licensee and owner. Although he was only licensee for one year he remained the owner until 1896 when it was bought by the Stamford Brewery Company of Ashton-under-Lyne, they later merged with the Lee Home Brewery Company of Oldham and the Whitfield Brewery Company of Besses o' the Barn, to form Whitfield Breweries Ltd. They were compulsory wound up in 1905 and their interests taken over by John Willy Lees of Greengate Brewery.
In 1907 when James Waterhouse was the licensee the pub was called Talbot Hotel. He advertised as Premier Caterer and Decorator, Garden Parties etc. catered for, tents and large marquees at shortest notice.
In 1909 when Solomon Page was licensee it was referred for Compensation, renewal was refused and its licence expired on 29th December 1909. J. W. Less remained owners until 1947 when it was sold to Mrs.. Hopwood the then proprietor of Old Glossop Post Office.
Hare and Hounds
In 1826 Joseph Hadfield took out his first alehouse recognizance and a 99 year lease in 1838. for a part of the Meadow or Rye Croft. A Money club was opened there in June 1831. In 1841 Census he was described as an innkeeper aged 40 with a son Charles aged 15 plus three servants. He remained licensee until 1843 when John Higginbottom took over followed three years later by Thomas Higginbottom.
In 1848 Charles Hadfield now 23 years old returned as licensee, in the 1851 Census he was described as a publican and farmer of 17 acres of land in grass, he had a wife Betty and two sons. In an 1863 Pigot Directory he was also described as a veterinary surgeon. Although he ceased to be licensee shortly after this he remained owner until his death in 1876.
A year later his Excitor sold it to George Woodcock. In December he was host to the annual Tea Party of the Prince Regent Lodge of Oddfelloows which "was held in the large club room seasonably decorated for the occasion and fifty people sat down to an excellent sandwich tea"
In 1899 it was bought by Groves & Whitnall of Regent Road Brewery, Salford complete with stables, shippons, piggery and other outbuildings.
They were the owners in 1927 when it was referred for Compensation. The licence expired on the 28 th December 1927, the brewery received £735 in compensation and the licence William Henry Bebbington £175.
The pub still stands today although it had been divided into two houses.