This filtration plant and pump house was built at the same time as the council houses in the 1960's to replace the open filtration beds up near the Swineshaw Reservoir.
This plant was taken out of service when Glossop's water supply no longer came from local reservoirs.
Although United Utilities own the building they lease the land from The High Peak Borough council.
In 2004 an attempt to sell the lease and land to United Utilities for £700 by a senior council officer was foiled by two local Independent Councillors Chris Webster and Ivan Bell who turned up uninvited to the meeting and offered £1000 cash.
Despite calls by local councilors for a compulsory purchase to be made on the building in order that much needed affordable housing could be built on the site no progress has been made to date.